ARPA POWTS Replacement Grant
With the release of funding from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) in 2021, Calumet County has established a grant program for the replacement of Private Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (POWTS). The ARPA POWTS Replacement Grant is a competitive grant, which is intended to target older failing POWTS in Calumet County primarily located in the County's Groundwater Susceptibility Area. The Groundwater Susceptibility Area is a region of thin soils with porous bedrock located mainly within the Silurian Aquifer in Calumet County, which is highly susceptible to groundwater contamination.
Interactive Groundwater Susceptibility Map
The interactive map below can be used to help identify if your property is located within the County groundwater susceptibility region. To locate your property, you may either manually scroll with the map, or enter an address into the search bar. The map legend can be accessed by toggling the side panel, located towards the upper left of the map.
General Qualification Criteria
To qualify for the ARPA POWTS Replacement Grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- The residence is the owner's primary residence, and occupied 51% of the year
- The POWTS must be classified as a failing system in accordance with Wisconsin Statute 145.245(4) by meeting any of the following conditions:
- The discharge of sewage into surface water or groundwater
- The introduction of sewage into zones of seasonal saturation which adversely affects the operation of the POWTS
- The discharge of sewage into a drain tile or into zones of bedrock
- The discharge of sewage to the surface of the ground
- The failure to accept sewage discharges and back up of sewage into the structure served by the POWTS
- The failing POWTS must be verified in writing by a licensed plumber, POWTS Inspector, or Certified Soil Tester
- Applicants must solicit bids from a minimum of three licensed plumbers
- (Optional) Failing POWTS located in High Susceptibility soils of the Calumet County Groundwater Protection Area shall be given replacement priority
The program offers several tiers of financial eligibility to qualify for the program. In order to qualify, you must fall within one of the following financial categories based on one of your two most recent federal income forms:
- 90% cost share for eligible expenses with an annual adjusted gross income of all owners and spouses less than $49,650
- 60% cost share for eligible expenses with an annual adjusted gross income of all owners and spouses between $49,650 and $75,000
- 25% cost share for eligible expenses with an annual adjusted gross income of all owners and spouses between $75,001 and $100,000
The following are eligible expenses that may be covered by the ARPA POWTS Replacement Grant:
- External plumbing associated with a failing POWTS
- Labor, materials, and similar costs directly related to the replacement of a failing POWTS
- Initial permit fees for replacement of the POWTS
Internal plumbing will not be covered under the ARPA POWTS Replacement Grant. Calumet County reserves the right to deny payment for any and all expenses not previously approved in an initial bid.
Bid and Contract Documents
The following forms are to be filled out as part of the bid and contract process. Please utilize the below Contractor and Owner Bid Submission Guide/Checklist to help you through the process. If you have any questions during the bid process, please do not hesitate to contact our office with questions utilizing the Contact Us information towards the top of the screen.
- ARPA POWTS Bid Document (Fillable Form)
- ARPA POWTS Bid Document (Not Fillable)
- ARPA POWTS Grant Guide and Checklist
ARPA POWTS Grant Bid Submittal
All bids and attachments as part of the ARPA POWTS Grant can be submitted below. If you have any questions, please contact the Planning, Zoning, and Land Information Department.